5th Sunday in Lent.
A. If you went to every house in Marble Hill or the
surrounding area you would find several people that
professed to be Christian but didn't go to church!
1. Or you would find those that weren't active in
2. They would say they went to such and such church, but you would find that they didn't go much! You
might ask their pastor’s name and find they
couldn’t tell you!
B. Why do people do this? You will find several reasons and excuses!
1. Some will be mad at someone or have had a bad
experience with church.
2. Some will say they are just as good as those that do!
3. Some just feel they don't need it!
Trans: A lot of people have just failed to Maintain
their Christian lives! Lent is about getting in
shape spiritually. Let's look today at the
"Maintenance of a Christian Life."
KJV says, “maintain good works.”
I. What does it mean to maintain?
A. Def. Maintain = To keep an existing state, to
continue, carry on.
1. You have to maintain a house.
2. You have to maintain a car.
3. It is the same with your Christian Life!
II. Three steps to maintain a Christian Life!
A. Pray - No substitute for it! If we want to
Maintain a Christian life we must talk to
God. It is important!
Jer. 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you, and will
tell you great and hidden things that you
have not known."
James 5:16b "The prayer of the righteous is
powerful and effective."
James 4:2&3 "You want something and do not have it;
so you commit murder. And you covet
something and cannot obtain it; so you
engage in disputes and conflicts. You
do not have, because you do not ask.
You ask and do not receive, because you
ask wrongly, in order to spend what you
get on your pleasures."
It's just like a relationship with ones spouse. If we want to have one we have to communicate!
B. Bible Study and
- This is God's word if we Reading
Want to know God, we must
open it and read it!
II Tim. 3:16a "All scripture is inspired by God …."
John 17:17 "Sanctify them in the truth; your word
1. This is how we draw closer to God.
2. This is how we know what decisions he'd have us
make in life! The Bible has been called the text book of life, a guidebook, and a road map because it shows us the way. It is said that John Wesley
was a man of one book!
II Tim. 2:15 "Study to show thyself approved
unto God, a workman that needeth
not to be ashamed, rightly
dividing the word of truth." KJV
3. We might find that if we actually read the Bible
we might change our attitude and opinions about
a. There was a time in church history when most
people couldn’t read and they had to rely on
scriptures read to them in worship.
b. That isn’t the case today.
c. I have changed in my beliefs and
understandings from those I had when I
started ministry 30 years ago. I believe
different about some things than I did 20
d. If you still hold the same beliefs you did
when you became a Christian or that you did
10,20, or 30 years ago, you probably aren’t
reading the Bible and allowing it to
transform your life. The Bible will Change
you to be more like God!
C. Seek out fellowship!
1. Is it possible to live a Christian Life and not
go to church? Maybe possible but not probable!!
2. As a Christian we will usually want to go to
church; we will want to remain in fellowship with other Christians!
a) We need that! We need the encouragement!
We need the instruction!
b) If we were out on a deserted
would be there and make a way, but we
aren't, and God expects us to make use of
what we have!
1) Since we aren't on a deserted
we have people around us!
But we must
seek out those who will encourage and
help us with our walk with God?
2) If you were trying to dry out from
alcohol or drugs. AA and other groups
will sometimes encourage finding a
church family. Get around the right
3. The writer of Hebrews instructs us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together!
a) He or she realized the need!
joined together often in Early Church
strong fellowship. We need that today if we are to be strong in the Lord!
A. Don't forget to maintain your Christian life!
1. Watch over it and take care of it!
2. Live the way God wants us to live!
B. If we don't we will wind up like a car that has been
let go until so much is wrong with it and it is ready
for the junk yard! But if you maintain that same car
it will give you many years of service. Are you
Maintaining your Christian Life?
Altar Prayer of Confession