The Beatitudes Series
A. ABlessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth.@
B. What is meekness? Take a look at this clip:
C. Is Adam weak or meek?
Trans. Let's look at this beatitude and see if we can tell!
I. Let's look at the meaning of the word meek.
A. We tend to think it means a spineless, cowardly person who cannot stand up to anything!
Def. Webster: Modest, mild, submissive.
From this we have formed the opinion that a meek person is submissive to everyone! Doesn't stand up!
B. Surely this isn't what Christ meant when he said, "Blessed are the meek."
C. Meek: Greek (praus) 2 basic usages
1. The first deals with the right amount of anger.
ex. To become angry over the hurt of others! This moves us to help people!
2. The second usage is that of a tamed animal! It is strong not weak! Yet at the command of the master it obeys!
a. A horse.
b. An oxen.
c. They are strong, but when well trained, they respond immediately to the master!
3. So the meaning here is God-Controlled! Because of being God-Controlled we will only be angry at the right times. We respond immediately to the master!
a. In our clip, Todd suggested Adam do something that Adam did not feel was right!
b. He didn=t cater to the pressure but stood for what he felt was right.
c. He responded immediately to the master!
d. That is being meek!
II. What difference does Meekness make?
A. If we are God-Controlled we aren't self-willed!
1. This makes a difference in our homes because we listen and consider what our spouse says realizing we haven't got all the answers!
2. This makes a difference in our churches! If we are self-willed we think everything should go the way we want it to go. This attitude leads to jealousy and division. If we are God-Controlled we are considerate of others and will say things the right way! Most of all we will work things out!
B. If we are God-Controlled we aren't wishy-washy! Learn to be firm in your convictions but considerate of the convictions of others!
C. If we are God-Controlled it affects all areas of our lives!
1. Financial - Don't cheat!
3. Leisure - clean and decent
III. The last part of this Beatitude says, "For they shall
inherit the earth." What does that mean?
A. Being God-Controlled and in God's will is the best for our lives! We will be the happiest! We will have a life of purpose! We will have the abundant life!
"I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly!" John 10:10b
B. Being God-Controlled helps us find true friendships! We will find friends that are also seeking meekness. Because of that, they will be friends who will be there through good and bad!
C. So to inherit the earth means we will have the really important things this earth has to offer!
1. Full and meaningful life.
2. Truest friendships!
A. Meekness is not something that happens overnight!
B. It takes a lot of yielding to God and attentiveness (watching) to find areas we aren't meek.
C. Jesus told Peter, "Watch and pray that ye enter not into temptation!" Matt. 26:41 And Peter fell asleep!
D. Too many times if we aren't careful we won't be alert to see the place we need to let God control until we've already messed it up!
E. Do we need to pray that God would help us to watch and yield?